Can a foreign national woman be granted refugee protection in Canada if she fears abuse in her home country?

Article By Juliet Montes

According to the Frederick Law & Company 2019 A.G. v. Minister of Citizenship and Immigration matter, an abused foreign national woman may be granted protection in Canada and live in Canada as a Convention Refugee.

In A.G. v. Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, the client was from the Middle East. The client was forced into marriage at the age of sixteen to a husband almost twelve years older. The husband has a large prominent tribe. After years of physical abuse, she left her first husband. Her children were taken from her by her ex-husband’s tribe.

She then married her second husband who also physically abused her. The client and her second husband came to Canada seeking refugee protection.

After an incident where the client was being physically abused by her second husband, the client was taken by the police to the hospital for treatment. She was then placed in a shelter. The second husband was charged with assault.

The client feared returning to the Middle East. She was fearful of abuse or death from her ex-husband’s relatives and also feared that her family would force her to return to her second husband who also abused her.

Frederick Law & Company demonstrated the severity of the abuse before the Immigration and Refugee Board (Refugee Protection Division) and the client was granted refugee protection in Canada.

Some countries laws allow domestic violence against women and children. Specifically, men may be given authority to control their wives and children using various forms of abuse. Abuse can be emotional, physical, sexual, and/or financial. If you are in this situation, please contact Frederick Law & Company immediately to see if we can help you.

Share This Article

Choose Your Platform: Facebook Twitter Google Plus Linkedin

Sorry, Comments are closed!